It is common and natural for homeowners to do home renovations and remodeling to improve the state of their houses. This can be because of a number of reasons such as wanting to change the look and style of the rooms or doing repairs for houses that experienced wear and tear over the years. This is even made easier and more affordable when do it yourself kits and procedures became all the rage. Transforming your space into a safer and more beautiful home can be attainable.
The kitchen and bathroom are two of the most important rooms in a house. Many people are very particular with their bathroom because it is a personal and private space. And a kitchen is a workspace that requires a good design that will utilize its functionality. Here are some kitchen and bath issues and some do it yourself solutions you can try:
- Kitchen Cabinets. Breathe new life to your battered cabinets by doing a few steps. Clean it first with a synthetic steel wool and mineral spirits. Do not scrub at the panels too much to avoid lightened areas. Once they are clean you can repaint it, apply finish, or paint the grooves for a nice accent. Replace the old hinges with new ones with self-closing hinges. You can also change the door knobs or pulls that can compliment your kitchen.
- Kitchen Island. If you want to make good use of the space in your kitchen, place a kitchen island. But you don’t have to hire a carpenter to make one for you. If you have a spare table in your home that you don’t know what to do with, you can use it as an island instead. It could be a preparation station or a casual dining table. You can put a table that has drawers or shelves in them for an easy space saving tip.
- More Space in the Kitchen. Most urban dwellers find it difficult to maximize the kitchen space. You can start by de-cluttering and placing all of your kitchen gadgets and tools in a pantry. Floating shelves or a pegboard can also be a wonderful space saver and wall accent. Make use of pieces of furniture that is multi functional.
- Vanity Cabinets. Update your vanity cabinets by repainting it and replacing the knobs with new hardware. Paint it with a color that will complement the overall theme of your bathroom. You can also choose a spunky color to break the monotony. Wallpaper can also be applied to change the aesthetics of your vanity. You can even convert a piece of furniture into a bath vanity.
- Safer Bathroom Flooring. This is perfect if you have children who can be left unattended when they are playing from one room to another inside the house. You can replace your flooring now with cork floor tiles. This type of flooring is mildew resistant and comfortable underfoot. You don’t have to worry that your kids would slip without you noticing.